Congressional Country Club History
Congressional Country Club is located in Bethesda, Maryland, about 10 minutes outside Washington, DC. Congressional began in 1921 when Congressmen Oscar E. Bland and O.R. Luhring felt the need for a Club where members of Congress could meet socially with businessmen. The idea was taken to Herbert Hoover and he eventually served as the Club’s first President. A prospectus was written and circulated to Members of Congress and the country’s top business leaders, inviting them to lifetime Memberships.
Construction of the club was completed in two and half years, and on May 23, 1924, Congressional opened its doors to over 7,000 persons of national and local prominence at their Inaugural Gala. Such notables who attended were President and Mrs. Coolidge and then Chief Justice, William Howard Taft (formerly the 27th President).
The Club has a rich history of U.S. Presidents being Members or visiting the Club. Presidents Coolidge, Taft, Hoover, Wilson and Harding were lifetime Members. President Eisenhower and his Cabinet frequently retreated to the Club's greens, and more recently, Presidents George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have visited regularly.
The Club's original purpose has been transformed to become that of a full-service family Club.
CCC has hosted numerous major golfing events, including the: 1949 USGA Boys’ Junior Championship, 1959 USGA Women's Amateur, 1964 US Open, 1976 PGA Championship, 1980-86 Kemper Opens, 1995 US Senior Open, 1997 US Open, 2007-09 & 2012-13 AT&T National, 2011 US Open, and the 2014 & 2016 Quicken Loans National.
Congressional has two challenging 18-hole golf courses. Both courses are known for their rolling terrain, tree-lined fairways, and challenging greens. The world-renowned Blue Course was designed by Devereux Emmet and has been renovated over the years by A.W. Tillinghast, Robert Trent Jones, and Rees Jones. The course measures 7,574 yards and is considered among the best in the country. It is a par 72 with a rating and slope of 75.4 and 142 respectively, and bent grass is used for the fairways, tees and greens.
The Gold Course has been renovated twice; with George Fazio adding the final nine holes in 1977. In 2000, the course was renovated by Arthur Hills. Not only did Hills lengthen the course, he also reconstructed the tees, fairways, bunkers, -18th green, replaced irrigation system and cart paths. It is consistently ranked as one of the top courses in Maryland.
Congressional historic clubhouse, with its Spanish revival architectural style, is the largest clubhouse in the United States. It was designed in 1924 by architect Philip M. Jullien, and has indoor bowling lanes, tennis club, grand ballroom, one indoor and three outdoor pools, fitness center, fine dining, grand foyer, overnight guest accommodations, paddle tennis area, massage services, indoor Jacuzzi, men's and women's locker rooms, two bars, and a grill for everyday meals.
CONGRESSIONAL COUNTRY CLUB’S PURPOSE
Enrich Life’s journey through pride in belonging.
CONGRESSIONAL COUNTRY CLUB’S MISSION
Congressional Country Club, rich in history and tradition, is a full amenity private club committed to excellence.
Property and Facilities:
• Tennis courts- 6 indoor, 15 outdoor, 8 paddle tennis courts
• 8 Lane Duck Pin Bowling Alley
• Swimming pools- 1 indoor, 3 outdoor Golf Courses- Blue (Championship) Course; 18 holes, Gold Course,18 holes
• 21 Overnight Guest Rooms
• Men’s and women’s Locker Rooms
• Fitness Center and Massage Services
• Multi-faceted Food and Beverage Operations
What will be expected of you:
Blue Course Superintendent:
How we determine your qualifications:
Please apply at the link below:
© Mid-Atlantic Association of Golf Course Superintendents 888-643-8873
Web Site Designed by: Ryan Kraushofer