Kenwood Golf & Country ClubBethesda, Maryland
About Kenwood Golf & Country Club:
Kenwood Golf and Country Club is a private club with a select membership. It has been in continuous existence since 1928. The clubhouse, golf course and its facilities cover over 100 acres of rolling countryside, located in Bethesda, Maryland.
Included on the property is an 18-hole, USGA Certified, par 70 golf course, a competition-size outdoor swimming pool, an outdoor diving pool with children's wading pool, thirteen Har-Tru tennis courts, two all-weather hard courts and 4 indoor cushioned hard courts, an eight-lane duck pin bowling alley, a state-of-the-art fitness center complete with exercise studio, heated indoor pool, and spa services. Adjacent to the clubhouse is a guest house with forty-two comfortable, quiet, simply-appointed rooms with standard amenities.
The Club, surrounded by fine residential properties, is situated inside the Capital Beltway, (I-495) only minutes from the Nation’s Capital, approximately seven miles from the White House and many other cultural and national attractions.
The Superintendent is responsible for operation of the golf course operation and maintenance. Responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, member relations, scheduling/maintenance of irrigation systems, pesticide applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues. The Golf Course Superintendent works to create an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests and Club property. Our goal is a healthy and consistent golf course.
Golf SuperintendentKenwood Golf & Country Club
• Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
• Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the General Manager, President and Head Golf Professional on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
• Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
• Designs landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
• Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
• Works closely with the GM to operate the Golf Course in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
• Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
· Oversees the care and maintenance of turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
· Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
· Serves as Project Manager for major Golf Course improvement and repair projects.
· Manages an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and other water source usage.
· Recruits, supervises, trains and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action when necessary.
· Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
· Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
· Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
· Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
· Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
· Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
· Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
• Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways and roughs.
• Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
• Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
• Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
• Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
• Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
• Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
• Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
Compensation and Benefits
The facility will provide a compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications. This includes but not limited to:
• Competitive Base Salary - $115,000 - $125,000
• Merit Bonus Plan - $0 - $20,000
• Benefits Package
• Full Health Benefits
• Retirement Benefits (401k Program) – Available following 1 year of service
• Clothing Allowance
• PGA or GCSAA Dues and Education Allowance
• Playing & Practicing Privileges
Application Deadline: October 31st, 2019
Target Start Date: No later than December 15th, 2019
*Current Superintendent is retiring and is available to support our new Superintendent as needed.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF document with the title format Last
Name, First Name.
Cover letters are to be addressed to:
Todd Chamberlin - President
Kenwood Golf and Country Club
5601 River Rd, Bethesda, MD 20816
Cover letters and resumes can be emailed to:
For more on Kenwood Golf & Country Club, visit www.kenwoodcc.net
© Mid-Atlantic Association of Golf Course Superintendents 888-643-8873
Web Site Designed by: Ryan Kraushofer