About the Club: Founded in 1865, The Merion Cricket Club has become the private club standard for Main Line Philadelphia. The Club consistently provides world class dining, entertainment, fitness programming and facilities to the membership.
The Grounds Superintendent is responsible for supporting these facilities and programs to maximize the member experience. The Club recently finished a significant campus expansion and welcomed a new aquatics facility, dining facility, hard tennis courts, new clay court, expanded parking, a new grounds facility as well as a full renovation of the Men’s locker room and squash facilities. The Club continually improves it’s facilities to keep members engaged and currently boasts a strong member pipeline that will usher in the next generation of Merion Cricket Club members.
Mission: The Merion Cricket Club is a forward-looking, family-oriented club established in 1865 to provide its members with excellent facilities and programs. The Club encourages all levels of participation in sports and other activities, while at the same time enabling its members to socialize in an attractive environment with exceptional food and beverage service. Merion conducts itself with honor and integrity in all its endeavors, and is proud of its history and tradition.
Position Overview: The Grounds Superintendent will spearhead the daily operation of the Club to provide a high level experience for Club members. There are many nuances to the operation of the tennis facilities at the Club. The Club requires some evening and weekend work over the course of the season, but also emphasizes a strong work/life balance for its employees.
Position will report to the Director of Grounds, Chris Freeman.
Long Range Projects
● Installation of a new irrigation system on the Great Lawn
● Expansion of Clay and Hard tennis courts
● Campus wide beautification of landscaping and hardscaping
● Renovation of parking lots and curbing
● Expansion of Squash facilities
● Conversion of homes on campus for overnight accommodations and day spa
● Construction and operation of a greenhouse
Key Areas of Responsibility include:
● Schedule daily work for the crew to execute and convey daily goals
● Open, maintain and close seasonal tennis facilities to meet member expectations
● Perform pruning, planting and general horticulture practices throughout the year
● Assist or perform irrigation repairs
● Adjust irrigation watering schedule throughout the season
● Perform end of season irrigation winterization
● Assist in maintenance of the aquatics facility and the corresponding dining facility
● Assist in setting up various events to support club dining and member experiences
● Lay out and set up for various athletic activities like grass tennis, soccer, football, field hockey, croquet, cricket, etc.
● Apply pesticides to turfgrass and ornamental beds to ensure proper fertilization, weed and disease control
● Assist execution of project work that falls within the Club’s long range plan
● Effectively communicate with the staff to support a culture of positivity while holding employees accountable
● Log weather, sprays and significant tasks accomplished daily into spreadsheets
● Accountable to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and member service
● The ability to diagnose turfgrass issues and execute the proper solution in real time
● Communicate consistently with the Director of Grounds and Club management
● Support a positive, “can-do” culture while holding employees accountable to continually improve
● An eagerness to learn new skills that can be implemented quickly and executed with confidence moving forward
● A hands-on superintendent that is willing to plug into various situations with the crew as needed to remain on schedule and ensure quality of product.
● Fast learner that quickly picks up on the daily routine, while recognizing the overall goals of each daily task.
● Strong communicator with the staff to build trust and convey responsibility
● High accountability, attention to detail and creates a positive culture
● Effective communicator that works directly with the Director of Grounds and Club management
● Personable and approachable when engaging the membership
● Administers agronomic, cultural and grooming practices to optimize playability and highly functional turf.
● Must have or be able to obtain a PA pesticide license to apply pesticides on turfgrass and ornamentals
● 2-4 year degree or certificate level training in horticulture, turfgrass management or landscape management
● 3-5 seasons in the golf course, turf or landscape industry in a post-graduate role
● Specialization in managing various turf species for athletic purposes (Bentgrass, Poa Annua, Bermuda, Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass)
● Operation of various mechanized implements including but not limited to: Todpressers, Triplex, hand mowers, end loader tractor, forklift, pickup and dump truck, boom sprayer, snow plow/blowers, leaf vacuums, etc.
● Operation and troubleshooting of small equipment like: weed whips, hand and backpack blowers, hand tools, etc.
● Valid Driver’s License
● Excellent verbal and written skills required
● Effectively formulates and manages annual budgets and collaborates on capital budgets
● Experience with pool operation is ideal
Compensation : $60,000 to $70,000 depending on experience
Benefits include: Health, eye and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick time, 401k, and life insurance. Uniforms will be provided.
Application instructions: Submit your cover letter, resume and any additional materials (in that order) into a PDF or Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: Name the documents:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume”
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter Merion Cricket Club”
Please provide a thoughtful cover letter addressed to Chris Freeman as to why you are the right fit for Merion Cricket Club.
Will accept applications until January 22nd, 2021, but preferably sooner. Final selection is anticipated to be completed by February 7th, 2021.
© Mid-Atlantic Association of Golf Course Superintendents 888-643-8873
Web Site Designed by: Ryan Kraushofer