DIRECTOR OF AGRONOMY PROFILE:
HILLWOOD COUNTRY CLUB
DIRECTOR OF AGRONOMY AT HILLWOOD COUNTRY CLUB
Hillwood Country Club is seeking an innovative, driven, team-oriented Director of Agronomy with a passion for consistently providing exceptional golfing conditions. The Director of Agronomy will have experience with and an understanding of great clubs and top golf course architecture, along with strong agronomic, organizational, communication, and leadership skills.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
HILLWOOD COUNTRY CLUB AND COMMUNITY
Hillwood Country Club is a private, member-owned, country club located in Nashville, Tennessee. The club offers championship golf, outdoor and indoor tennis, competition swimming pools, state-of-the-art fitness, fine dining, banquet facilities, and social member events in a family-friendly environment.
The club is home to more than 1,000 families and offers exceptional amenities to Club members. The centerpiece of the club is its 18-hole, par 72 golf course, which was originally designed by legendary golf architect Dick Wilson. The 7,000+ yard course opened for play in 1957 and was renovated by Bruce Hepner in 2003 and 2011. The course satisfies golfers of all levels, and the four-season climate and mild winters allow year-round play.
HILLWOOD COUNTRY CLUB GOLF COURSE & GROUNDS OPERATIONS BY THE NUMBERS:
· $1.74M Budget (no equipment lease)
· 27,000 rounds of golf annually
· 135 acres (golf course)
· 18 holes, practice facility, short game area
· Champion greens
· 419 fairways and tees
· Central Control: Toro Lynx
· Satellites: Toro
· Golf Course Architect: Dick Wilson / Bruce Hepner
HILLWOOD COUNTRY CLUB WEBSITE: www.hillwoodcc.org
DIRECTOR OF GROUNDS JOB DESCRIPTION
The Director of Agronomy reports directly to the Club’s General Manager / Chief Operating Officer. The Director of Agronomy is expected to be a visible presence among the team and members with exceptionally strong agronomic, business, and communication skills and be a natural, at building productive relationships with the team, members, and vendors. He/she is responsible for the maintenance, operation, management, preparation, and condition of the golf course and club grounds.
The Director of Agronomy must be an excellent, transparent communicator with strong strategic planning abilities and a positive attitude. He/she will have extensive agronomical knowledge and know-how. Working collaboratively with Club leadership, professional development, inspiring confidence and staying at the forefront of research and technology are necessary for success.
INITIAL AREAS OF FOCUS
· Develop a long-term agronomic plan that inspires trust and confidence with the Board of Directors and staff
· Become familiar with the golf course masterplan and upcoming renovations
· Set standards for overall course playability, and aesthetics
· Develop a strong relationship with key Club Team Members and Golf Committee
· Staff engagement and development
The ideal candidate will be a Director of Grounds or Golf Course Superintendent at a club renowned for providing exceptional golfing conditions and will have the following qualifications:
· Proven history of providing exceptional golfing conditions and top-quality ultradwarf greens year-round
· Experience with warm season grasses in the “transition zone” preferred
· Strong attention to detail with an understanding of the importance of course aesthetics
· Excellent leadership skills with the ability to build and develop a high-performing team
· A strong financial acumen with the ability to develop and adhere to budgets
· Experience in tree management
· Understanding of all pest control techniques
· Solid irrigation and drainage management philosophy and practices
· Strong agronomic skills and stays current with advances in turf technology and equipment
· Experience with course renovations and major project oversight
· The ideal candidate will communicate effectively and work collaboratively with the GM/COO, Director of Golf, and committee to address key issues and provide optimal course conditions
· Self-motivated and highly driven
· Excellent member relations
· Strong listening skills and open to new perspectives and ideas
· The ideal candidate will be innovative and work “outside the box” to bring golf course conditions from good to exceptional
· Experience mentoring team members
· Exceptional strategic planning abilities
· Visionary with an understanding and appreciation for the Club’s culture
· Listens to and responds to both club members and team members
· Highly organized
· Subscribes to sustainable maintenance practices (e.g. firm and fast, sound irrigation philosophy)
· Golfer/student of the game with a sound understanding of ideal playing conditions
· High golf IQ is essential
EDUCATION, LICENSES, AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
A minimum 2-year degree in turf management, 5 years experience as a Class “A” Superintendent are required
Pesticide Application Certification (within 90 days)
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefits package including GCSAA membership.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process. Please be sure your image is not present on your resume or cover letter; that should be used on your LinkedIn Profile.
Prepare a thoughtful cover letter addressed to the Hillwood Country Club search committee/Mr. Todd Heifner, CCM, PGA, General Manager/COO, and clearly articulate your alignment with this role and why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career, and why Hillwood and the Nashville area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club if selected.
You must apply for this role as soon as possible but no later than Wednesday, December 7, 2022. Candidate selections will occur in mid-December with first Interviews expected in late December and second interviews a short time later. The new candidate should assume his/her role in February.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter – Hillwood Country Club”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
Click here to upload your resume and cover letter.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Search Executive: