GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT:
VERO BEACH COUNTRY CLUB
VERO BEACH, FL
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT AT VERO BEACH COUNTRY CLUB
Vero Beach Country Club is looking for a Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) that is successfully managing warm season grasses at the highest level. The GCS will be a strong, energetic, communicative, detail-oriented team leader with a passion for the game of golf and providing premier golfing for the members.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
VERO BEACH COUNTRY CLUB
Located in the heart of Vero Beach, Vero Beach Country Club is known for being a close-knit community, filled with generations of members from all over the country, seeking a private place to enjoy life's simple moments. Our Club is active throughout the year offering activities for the young and young at heart. Membership in the Vero Beach Country Club is truly a unique experience filled with "Old Florida" charm and welcoming members and staff.
Vero Beach Country Club, established in 1924, is to provide its members and their guests with outstanding facilities and services that provide distinctive participation in private golf and dining activities, with enhanced social environment for establishing and cultivating friendships. In so doing, the Club and Members work to expand their environmentally “Green” leadership and citizenship of Indian River County, while consistently operating in a positive financial position.
VERO BEACH COUNTRY CLUB BY THE NUMBERS
• 31,000 rounds of golf, 26,500 cart rounds
• $ 1.9 M Golf Course Maintenance operating budget
• Paspalum greens, USGA, Sea Isle 2000, front 9 grassed in 2003 and back in 2006
• Paspalum, Sea Isle 2000 with Bermuda in fairways, tees, and roughs, front 9 grassed in 2003 and back in 2006
• Average Handicap: Men 22, women 29
• Average age of Members: 67
• Green Committee, size 9 with monthly meetings
• Golf Course Architect – John Sanford redesign, ongoing Masterplan with Forse Design
• Maintenance Facility built in 2010, 10,000 sq/ft
• Green speed expectations 9 – 11 ft.
• Staff size 17 FT and 3 PT
• Irrigation Source – Canal water
Vero Beach Country Club Website: www.vbcountryclub.com
At the Vero Beach Country Club, the Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) reports directly to the General Manager. The GCS will lead and manage his/her department to ensure superb golfing conditions throughout the golfing season. He/She is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Club’s golf course and landscaping.
Frequent, open, and transparent communication with the General Manager/COO, Golf Professional, and Grounds Chair is required. The GCS is expected to lead the golf course maintenance team as well as provide information, recommendations, and leadership to the GM and Grounds Committee to provide superior golfing conditions.
The GCS is expected to ensure that the golf course is consistently in excellent condition and has a high level of detailing. Continuing education and staying at the forefront of research and technology are necessary for success. In addition, the GCS will provide creative leadership and foster a culture of continuing education and development of future turf professionals. The GCS must have a natural style of “sincere engagement” with members and staff along with a love of the game of golf and a passion for surpassing membership course conditioning expectations.
INITIAL AREAS OF FOCUS
• Evaluate the course conditions and develop an action plan for the summer maintenance program
• Improve the bunker maintenance program
• Consistent monitoring of irrigation water conditions
• Provide consistent green speeds
• Understanding the Club culture
• Establish rapport with the long-tenured maintenance team
• Review Standard Operating Procedures
• Review soil tests and necessary nutritional inputs to all areas
• Raise level of detailing on the course
The ideal candidate will be a Superintendent with a minimum of five years’ experience at a golf course known for providing exceptional golf course conditioning.
• Successful experience providing exceptional golfing conditions
• Experience providing smooth, fast greens on a daily basis
• Proactive, high-energy leader, a team builder, a mentor
• Strong observational skills and detail oriented
• Strong relationship builder with a history of excellent relations with their Golf Chairman, Golf Professional, and General Manager
• Confident, take-charge leader, both with team and committee
• Strong budget management and forecasting (zero based) skills
• Excellent communication skills with both club and team members
• Experience with masterplans and renovations
• Highly organized
• A creative turf manager with strong agronomic skills-stays current with advances in turf technology, irrigation management, and equipment
• Experience managing Paspalum is a positive
• Passion for the job
• High golf IQ
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
A degree in turf management or related field of study is required. Certification is preferred.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical (GCSAA) benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefits package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process. Please be sure your image is not present on your resume or cover letter; that should be used on your LinkedIn Profile.
Prepare a thoughtful cover letter addressed to Mr. Timothy R. Straley, CCM, General Manager/COO and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Vero Beach Country Club and the Vero Beach area will be beneficial to you, your family, your career, and the Club if selected.
You must apply for this role as soon as possible but no later than Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Interviews will occur in mid to late April with the new Golf Course Superintendent starting in late May.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume”
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter Vero Beach Country Club”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
Click here to upload your resume and cover letter.
If you have any questions, please email Katy Eliades: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Executive: